|DC 5th grade students work together
on a LEGO Communications Project. This activity demonstrates how
feedback contributes to successful communication. The steps we followed
1. Group students by twos.
2. Each group has two of the
16 piece LEGO Mystery Object set. (See inventory
3. Students are seated back
4. One student selects a LEGO
brick, places it on the desktop, and carefully describes its shape, color,
position, and orientation to his/her partner.
5. The partner duplicates the
6. The partner then selects
a LEGO brick, places it on the model, and carefully describes its attributes
to his/her partner.
7. This one way communication
continues until all pieces are placed on the model.
8. Partners compare their models
to see if they match
9. Discuss with students how
communication could be improved.
10. Do a second model, but allow
feedback from both students this time.
11. At the conclusion, check
models for a match
12. Discuss improvement of communicaiton
when feedback is allowed.